2008/07/02

Hewlett Packard does it again - major breakdown in repair procedures

So I received my laptop back from HP yesterday. They replaced the motherboard. Again. So I took a quick look in the BIOS and it looked better, but still not quite right. I promptly ran the restore (again) and "YEAH!!!" it installed QuickPlay instead of DVDPlay.

So, you are thinking, they fixed it, right? Well, yes and no. Apparently I now have a Spanish laptop which is all fine and dandy, but what are the consequences down the road? Will I get Spanish updates from HP? I mean, this is how HP's website sees it when I do the auto detect on the laptop. Will they ever figure out that they have a major problem? It went in three times...or is it four and it was never tattooed right.

Now what makes this worse is that I have seen cases on HP's discussion boards where people probably have this same problem, but don't realize it. If you used to have QuickPlay, but now DVDPlay installs instead, then this may be your problem. Check your BIOS and make sure your model number matches what is under your computer, because a large number of people are not doing the tattoo on motherboard replacements. If it happened to me three times, that's bad.

No comments: