2008/07/02

Fix for multiple instances of anti-virus in Windows Security Center

A friend of mine called me the other day because she was getting a message from Windows Security Center saying that there were two anti virus programs installed on her computer. I was sick and couldn't help her out much, but I didn't think she was in dire jeopardy. She's like me in some ways. She generally has a good idea of what she knows and she knows when she should stop because she is getting into grey areas.

She said one of the programs seemed to be Avira AntiVir, which she doesn't remember installing and she couldn't find any significant traces of it either. I had her do some basic stuff and I may have (I was so out of it) even given her a link I found. Nothing seemed to do the trick, but she kept researching, as I have taught her and she found the solution:
Re: Fix for multiple instances of anti-virus in Windows Security Center

Sure enough, it worked for her, so I wanted to pass it on to the rest of the world, since she had a heck of a time finding it. The only think I could figure is it was on the system when it came from Dell, or it was bundled with something else...

No comments: