2008/07/31

BBB Complaint filed with HP

I also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau of San Jose. I don't have a link to the case and don't see a spot on the site to check the status of the case, but I will pass on this info as applicable.

COMPLAINT ACTIVITY REPORT Case # xxxxxx Better Business Bureau of Silicon Valley

Consumer Info: Flesch, Sean Business Info: Hewlett Packard
(I removed my info) 3000 Hanover St MS1247 Building 6A
Palo Alto, CA 94304-1112
800 756-0608


Location Involved: (Same as above)

Consumer's Original Complaint :
HP uses a program called a Tattoo which puts the model and serial numbers in the BIOS. They use this on their website http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html?pageDisplay=drivers for instance to identify the product. The recovery software also uses this to identify the model number and install the proper software.
Problem 1: Their phone support people don't know what this is, so they can not properly troubleshoot the problem. Customers (other than myself) don't know the problem either, so they get the run around.
Problem 2: If you manage to explain to the tech support people what it is, and they get you to send the unit in, the repair center does not know to put the model information in the BIOS using the tattoo. Even after four (maybe more, I have lost track)repairs.I have an open case with HP, and have so far had it escalated to a Case Manager's manager and am waiting for a call back, but I believe she will also have to escalate this. There is no easy way for these folk to talk to the other people in the company to get this problem fixed.

Consumer's Desired Resolution:
1) I would like my laptop either replaced, or repaired properly with a warranty extension2) I would like the repair center(s) to be instructed on the proper procedure for using the tattoo3) I would like the technical support (phone) people properly trained on identifying this issue for people who have had their motherboard replaced previously (or for any other reason the tattoo may be incorrect)4) I would like HP to offer to "repair" any of the units that were not tattooed in the past, even if they are not under warranty and provide some kind of press release on their website (preferably their main site) stating so and maybe even providing a web based tool to identify these PCs.

BBB Processing

07/31/2008 web BBB Complaint Received by BBB

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you tried flashing your BIOS with the BIOS update posted on the support page for your correct (english) model?

Skindred said...

Yes, I have updated it to the latest BIOS. However, the BIOS updates they provide to the consumer are different than the Tattoo. The tattoo is a way of branding a computer. Since it brands the motherboard, replacing the motherboard gets rid of the branding, so you need a special utility to put the Tattoo back in the system. It may be stored in the BIOS, but it is more of a value than a setting.

Unknown said...

Well that's no fun. I had my laptop return from service a while back and since then QuickPlay only installs as DVD Play (Which really stinks).

I found your post on the HP forum and even the registry tweak offered by other commenter's only unlocked partial functionality (still DVD Play with no web cam).

I seem to recall you suggesting people check their model number in the BIOS to ensure it's correct. I did and it is, so I really have no way of knowing if my issue is a result of an incorrect tattooing.

I suppose I could restore it and see if QuickPlay is there as well as check if it remains after an update. Though, I'd have to first image my drive.

Probably won't do all that any time soon, if at all.

Thanks for the reply!

Skindred said...

Just to clarify, the BIOS should have the exact product number, so mine model is a dv2500cto, but the product number is rm922av#ABA. The second number is the one that needs to be in the bios